En route to my guitar lesson tonight, I was greeted by 6 cop cars, lights flashing, along the sides of the off-ramp. Yes, it’s that time of year again; time for random stops with cops and MADD Canada volunteers, handing out ribbons and reminding people to not drink and drive over the holidays.
I am not opposed to these events. I support MADD Canada’s mission to stop people from drinking and driving. There is no excuse these days. It is one thing to risk your own life, but the lives of everyone around you are not yours to risk. I tied the ribbon they gave me on my car’s antenna as soon as I got back home.
But I couldn’t help but chuckle when I read the literature handed out with it…
10 Possible Signs of an Impaired Driver
- Driving unreasonably fast, slow or at an inconsistent speed.
- Drifting in and out of lanes.
- Tailgating and changing lanes frequently.
- Making exceptionally wide turns.
- Changing lanes or passing without sufficient clearance.
- Overshooting or stopping well before stop signs or lights.
- Disregarding signals and lights.
- Approaching signals or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly.
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on.
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather.
MADD Canada’s campaign is that if you suspect someone of impaired driving, call 9-1-1 immediately. I appreciate the message, but the list of possible signs…the citizens of HRM during rush hour and pretty much every elderly person who still has a license better watch out! I followed my grandpa home from town once and he hit a good 5 out of the 10. Heck, I myself commit 6 of those on a regular basis! I guess I better watch my tail over the holidays, lest I get reported!